MAPEI’s debut into the sports arena sector dates back to the 1976 XXI Olympic Games in Montreal, where a new athletics track was installed using innovative Mapei adhesives. Since then, Mapei has followed the world of sport – and its attention and commitment has resulted in what it describes as the most complete and articulated range of technical solutions.
The connection between psychophysical wellbeing and sport – and, more specifically, the relationship between performance and the pitch or court – acts as a stimulus for the most thorough and careful design. From tennis courts to velodromes, Mapei says it offers cutting-edge solutions to help create resin, acrylic and polyurethane courts and pitches, surfaces with perfect performance and safety characteristics.
New resin-based solutions include Mapecoat TNS, which is described as a multi-layered system that can be used indoors and outdoors to create courts, pitches, rinks, tracks, and parks.
About Mapecoat TNS System
Mapei Mapecoat TNS is a multi-layered coating and finishing system made from acrylic resin in water dispersion and selected fillers that provides ‘exceptional resistance to wear, UV rays and weathering’.
In the company’s words:
Finished surfaces have elastic properties and offer comfort, promote safety, and provide excellent technical performance characteristics, including ball bounce, sudden changes in direction and provide the perfect balance between stability and sliding. The range includes various maintenance-free configurations for different sports and activities:
- Indoor and outdoor tennis courts.
- Within the Mapecoat TNS range, there are several maintenance-free systems designed specifically for tennis. Each creates a highly resistant, even playing surface for safe, high-speed rallies with consistent ball bounce.
- Mapecoat TNS Professional is an ITF 1 certified multi-layered acrylic-resin system.
- Mapecoat TNS Cushion is a semi-elastic multi-layered acrylic-resin system, with ITF 3 certification.
- Mapecoat TNS Comfort is an elastic multi-layered acrylic resin-based system with an underlay of Mapecomfort granular rubber mat. It is ITF 2 certified.
All three systems are suitable for bituminous or cementitious conglomerate substrates. Other options for tennis include:
- Mapecoat TNS Remove – an elastic multi-layered acrylic resin-based system that’s applied in combination with Mapecoat TNS RE Play PVC mat; the high dimensional stability of the PVC sheet makes it suitable for use indoors and outdoors.
- Being a ’floating’ system, Mapecoat TNS Remove is specifically developed for surfaces where a traditionally bonded coating system cannot be used. It can be installed, removed, and relocated very easily, making it portable and ideal for temporary events. It’s ITF 3 certified.
- Mapecoat TNS Reinforced is a multi-layered acrylic resin-based system that’s applied in combination with Mapenet 150 glass fibre mesh. It’s used to refurbish tennis courts, indoors and outdoors, and is specifically developed for installation on old, damaged bituminous or cementitious conglomerate surfaces, without having to repair them beforehand.
- Mapecoat TNS Binder is a multi-layered acrylic resin-based system made up of a combination of special acrylic resin and filler which is added during the application phase, according to its use as a preparation or finishing product. It’s suitable for bituminous or cementitious conglomerate substrates and is ITF 3 certified.
Multi-functional games areas
The Mapecoat TNS range also includes two systems for multi-sport areas in parks, parish play centres, schools, and general play areas, for sports ranging from basketball to five-a-side football:
- Mapecoat TNS Multisport Professional is a multi-layered acrylic resin-based system
- Mapecoat TNS Multisport Comfort is an elastic multi-layered acrylic resin-based system, with an underlay of Mapecomfort granular rubber mat.
Both systems are maintenance-free and suitable for indoor and outdoor games areas, on bituminous or cementitious conglomerate substrates. The finished surface creates a highly resistant, even playing surface for safe, high-speed play with consistent ball bounce.
Surfaces for skating and cycling
Roller and wheel sports demand a very strong surface with excellent performance characteristics, including high resistance to abrasion. The Mapecoat TNS range includes two systems; both are suitable for indoor and outdoor rinks/tracks on bituminous or cementitious conglomerate substrates.
- Mapecoat TNS Roller Professional is a multi-layered acrylic resin-based system used to create sports surfaces for in-line and artistic skating. It provides an excellent balance of low friction for smoother skating and stability for athletes during races.
- Mapecoat TNS Cycle Track is a multi-layered acrylic resin-based system used to create sports surfaces for velodromes. It provides an excellent balance of low friction for smoother wheel rotation and stability for athletes during races.
For more general outdoor areas, other systems include Mapecoat TNS Urban – an acrylic resin-based multi-layered system for cycle tracks and urban features.
Within its sports flooring range, Mapei also offers solutions for outdoor rubber surfaces, artificial turf, natural and hybrid grass, high footfall stadium areas, acrylic resin, polyurethane resin, indoor resilient and wooden sports floor surfaces.